Can Epilepsy Be Treated with CBD Oil?
The cannabis plant has been used for centuries for its various medicinal and recreational properties. Although cannabis was outlawed in the 1900s, it has recently re-emerged for numerous uses, from recreational marijuana use to medicinal cannabidiol (CBD) products. CBD oil is one popular CBD product that can provide many health benefits, including relief from pain, anxiety, and depression, as well as improved sleep quality. Additionally, CBD oil may be effective in treating epilepsy and other neurological disorders.
What is CBD Oil?
CBD oil is primarily composed of CBD, one of the main phytocannabinoids present in the cannabis plant. The other prominent phytocannabinoid is tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), which is well-known for its psychoactive and euphoric effects. In contrast, CBD is not psychoactive, which makes it more appealing for patients seeking its medicinal properties without the “high” associated with THC.
CBD oil is made by extracting CBD from cannabis and combining it with other oils, like coconut oil or hemp seed oil. Patients often take CBD oil orally by dropping it under their tongue. However, CBD may also come in the form of capsules or in edibles.
What is Epilepsy?
Epilepsy is a neurological disorder that causes seizures as a result of abnormal electrical activity in the brain. This condition can affect people of all ages, ethnicities, and races, and the symptoms vary widely from case to case. Often, symptoms that someone may be about to have a seizure include:
- Stiff muscles
- Temporary confusion
- Loss of consciousness or awareness
- Uncontrollable jerking motions in the arms or legs
- Staring spell
These symptoms change depending on what type of seizure the person is experiencing.
Types of Epileptic Seizures
There are two primary types of seizures: focal and generalized. Focal seizures occur in just one area of the brain and are often categorized in two ways:
- Without loss of consciousness
- With impaired awareness
Generalized seizures involve all areas of the brain and may include:
- Absence seizures: also known as petit mal seizures, these episodes involve a brief loss of awareness and usually occur in children
- Tonic seizures: characterized by muscle stiffness and may cause falls
- Atonic seizures: also known as drop seizures, involve a sudden loss of muscle control, often causing you to fall
- Clonic seizures: associated with repeated muscular contractions and can cause jerking movements
- Myoclonic seizures: usually lead to brief jerks or twitches in the upper body
- Tonic-clonic seizures: previously called grand mal seizures, can cause an abrupt loss of consciousness and body shaking and are the most severe type of epileptic seizure
Epilepsy and CBD Oil
There is no one-size-fits-all treatment for epilepsy. Some patients may use anti-epileptic drugs, undergo surgery to remove a small part of the brain, have an electrical device inserted, or follow a specialized diet. Unfortunately, not all patients want or respond well to traditional treatment, which is why various other methods have emerged, including CBD oil.
CBD oil has been recognized as a potentially effective treatment for many patients with epilepsy. It may help reduce the number of seizures patients experience and improve their quality of life without few adverse side effects.
It is very important to consult your primary physician before changing any prescribed treatments for chronic conditions such as Epilepsy. The dosing required for seizure control can often be very high and require medical supervision.
FDA Approval of Epidiolex
In June 2018, the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) approved the use of Epidiolex to treat seizures associated with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome and Dravet syndrome, two rare forms of epilepsy. These syndromes account for one to four percent of all cases of childhood epilepsy.
Epidiolex is a highly purified form of CBD following strict regulations to ensure it contains no toxic heavy metals, no pesticides, and no contaminants. Numerous studies found a significant reduction in seizure frequency in participants who took Epidiolex with their other prescribed medications compared to the placebo group.
Best CBD Oils From My Botanica Wellness
If traditional treatments are not working for you or a loved one, Botanica Wellness carries CBD oil that may help. Among our most popular products include:
- Maxxam CBD FS 1500 mg SL Drops 30 ml (Cinnamon)
- Maxxam CBD FS 1500 mg SL Drops 30 ml (Orange)
- Maxxam CBD FS 1500 mg SL Drops 30 ml (Peppermint)
- Nighttime Tincture CBN Rich Formulation 1000 mg (Blueberry)
- Organic Tincture Whole Plant 2000 mg (Strawberry)